I’ve taken one step further in hacking my Motorola Milestone 2 (A953) phone. In my previous post I described how to easily root it and now I’ve been able to safely install the ClockworkMod Recovery partition. This procedure takes less than 5 minutes.
This is the same method used on Milestone 2′s the US cousin the Droid 2 but I wanted to separately confirm that it can be installed without breaking the M2 phone. All credits for this goes to Koush for his excellent work.
Here is the tutorial on how to install the ClockworkMod on Milestone 2
- Make sure you have rooted your Milestone 2 first. If not, follow the 5 minute instructions in my previous post.
- Open the Android Market and search “Droid 2 bootstrap”. The app costs a couple of dollars, please support our Android developers. Alternatively, you can download it for free directly from Koush’s blog.
- Install and open up the Droid 2 Bootstrap application
- Bravely click on Bootstrap Recovery. Select Allow when asked whether to grant the app superuser permissions and let it do it’s stuff, it should not take more than a couple before you get the Success notification.
- Test that everything went well by clicking on Reboot Recovery. Your phone will now reboot into recovery mode!
- When booted into ClockworkMod recovery you can make nandroid backups, install custom ROMs etc. Please search the forums for more information.
Note! Don’t delete the Droid 2 Bootstrap app once you have completed this process as this is the only way to access the custom recovery for the moment. Holding “x” on your keyboard while pressing the Power button will take you into the normal recovery mode.
Final disclaimer: Use the guide at your own risk as it is never completely safe to hack your phone. If somethings goes wrong, please search the hacking forums!